To select a topic for my next project I started writing down the concepts I found interesting. Then I organized them all in the affinity diagram you can see below.
There you may see 3 main sections. The left one is about limitations, duties and obligations a human has. The right one is about living the way you want, and making your life full of positive emotions regardless to people around you. What unites both parts is what’s in the middle: people set goals and aim, and then plan on how to achieve it.
Often, people regret about their lives. They think that set bad goals.
What if we could eliminate the possibility of regret? What if people could constantly monitor their current goals and how their life corresponds to it at the moment?
Am I wasting time on something not important? If I continue this way will I achieve my goal?
After the discussion in class my idea for the project narrowed down to the following questions:
1. Am I living the life I want?
2. Will I regret about it in future?
3. What is the balance between my social vs. individual motivations right now?
4. Is it possible to track what is happening right now? Can I save samples of my experience at the moment? May I analyze it after (GoogleAnalytics)
5. Can I reflect on my life: who I was and who I became? How my goals and ideals impacted me?
6. If I have a bad experience is it possible to save it in the system so it can notify me in the future that the same situation may occur again?
7. Can I forget about bad things in my life without alcohol or drugs? Is it possible to live without regrets?
The ideas above indicate my scope for now.
1. Background (summarize what you want to achieve; measures of success; competitive analysis)
People have little control of their life and cannot realize how far are they from their goals and established plans. Often routine and environment get us distracted from what we really want.
Because of it people often regret about how they lived, how much time they ‘lost’ and think if they only knew it earlier they could have change something.
The goal is to provide people help in keeping track of their lives and evaluate whether their current path is correlated to their plans and dreams. Also, when a bad situation occurs, a person should be able to store info about it and later, in future, if the pattern is about to repeat, he would be notified about it.
What we have now?
For now, there exist a lot of psychological techniques and trainings. Usually, people are advised to maintain a diary or various to-do lists.
The major drawback of existing solutions is that people forget to keep track of whether or not they are following the list of goals they made.
2. Audience (first,secondary, their current beliefs)
The first audience are young/not young people who care about their future. Currently they feel responsible for themselves. Thus, the solution will help them continue that way.
The solution will help people who care.
3. Objectives (list, strategy to achieve)
Keep track of goals and plans
Database of people who had the same goals and how they achieved it
Understand if the current way of life may lead to the aims planned
Record all factors during bad experience
Analysis of emotional and environmental state to predict the chance of recurrence of bad situation
Help forget bad memories/ heal emotional wounds (?)
4. The message (one sentence; how to prove it)
‘Track it till you get it’
People are interested in taking care about themselves. If they use the artifact to reach their goals and if they remember the quote, I consider it a success.
5. The Medium (best way to reach audience, prior art, how delivered)
Wearable artifact, always with you.
6. Anything else (design objectives, mandatories)
Meet the deadline and write a paper
1.The artifact may be a wearable context-aware life coach. A computational system that helps you achieve your goals and not to be influenced (put down) by other people around you: partner, parents, colleagues, and yourself and your own fears.
2. The system keeps track of what’s going on around. Gives you probabilities of possible outcomes of a certain situation, tell you when the bad experience from the past is going to repeat (ex. falling in love in a wrong guy)
3. Future problems and questions:
– What if the system breaks?
– Without the system people don’t know how to be responsible of their lives again
– What if the system was hacked?
– What if the data stored in the system was obtained by others? (ex. you husband finds out that your goal is to become independent and get divorced)
What if.. all these might happen?